The Summer Olympics are over, and the final medal count is in. The United States brought home a whopping 121 medals — almost twice as many medals as the second place country, Great Britain.
QUIPS FOR THIS WEEK
Yesterday night was the Olympic Closing Ceremony in Rio. What are we going to remember from the last few days of competition?
- Usain Bolt of Jamaica became the greatest track and field athlete ever after securing his third triple triple with his third set of Olympic wins in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m.
Great Britain’s Mo Farah won the 5,000m and 10,000m and became the second man to retain both titles.
- 19-year-0ld Simone Biles won team gold and individual titles in the women’s all-around, vault and floor exercise, and also scored a bronze medal on the balance beam. She’s the first American (and one of only four women total), to win four gold medals in a single Olympic Games.
- Neymar gave Brazil their first Olympic football gold, after his winning penalty in the shootout against Germany.
- Ryan Lochte and his US teammates Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger, and Jimmy Feigen will be investigated by an IOC disciplinary commission after their incident at a Rio gas station. Lochte had said he and the others were robbed at gunpoint, but the Brazilian police say that the men were intoxicated, and were confronted by armed security guards after vandalizing a bathroom.
- USA Basketball: The women’s team won their sixth straight gold medal and 49th straight game after scoring a win over Spain 101-72. And, the men’s team may not have been as dominant during these games as they were in Olympics past, but in their gold medal showdown against Serbia, the team sent Coach Krzyzewski into Team USA retirement with a 96-66 win.
JUST FOR FUN
STORIES FOR INSIGHTS, COOL FACTOR + DEBATE
Pitch it, pitch it real good
The upsides, downsides, and details of LA’s bid for the 2024 Olympics, and the men trying to get the job done
PS: Wondering why you’re missing out on SQ? If you’re using Gmail, make sure you check your Promotions folder! If you want SQ to go to your Primary folder instead, click on this email and drag it into your Primary folder.